Foundation Apprenticeship Social Services Children & Young People
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Children & Young People can be done in S5 or S6 and completed in a one year programme or it can also be completed in a two year programme depending on the pupil and if they have the time in their timetable to accommodate and if your school agrees. The pupil will require two afternoons per week to attend the Foundation Apprenticeship, one afternoon is online learning with a tutor and the other afternoon in the week you will spend in a work placement with an employer learning on the job.
National Progression Award in Social Services Children & Young People SCQF level 6 and this will cover the following units:
- Safeguarding children and young people
- Play for children and young people
- Communication with children and young people
- Development of children and young people
- Promoting wellbeing of children and young people
SVQ units in Social Services Children & Young People at SCQF level 6 and this will cover the following units:
- Real work experience in a Nursery or School
- Support effective communication
- Support the Health and safety of yourself and individuals
- Develop your own knowledge and practice
- Support the safeguarding of children
- Support the development of children and young people
- Support children’s learning through play
Pupils should have a good level of written and spoken English. Communication with children and families as well as with staff in the workplace is a key competence. Ability to work with others, problem solve and a commitment to appropriate values is necessary. Pupils are required to undergo a PVG prior to placement.
Potential apprentices are selected by their school and will undertake a recruitment process arranged by the learning provider. Employers are encouraged to get involved in this process.
You should be working towards or have
achieved one of the following:
- SCQF Level 5 Maths or Numeracy
- SCQF Level 5 English or Literacy
Please click this link to apply for the 2023-2024 Foundation Apprenticeship in Children & Young People!
Pupils will have the right skills to move from this to a Modern Apprenticeship in a social services subject; or may decide to move on to further or higher education. If you look to hire, the Foundation Apprenticeship offers you an opportunity to spot talented pupils, and assess their skills on a longer term than a regular interview process would allow.
Fife College will accept achievement of the FA in Children and Young People as equivalent to one Higher which accompanied with Higher English (Grade A or B), will support you to gain entry to HNC: Childhood Practice, HNC: Social Services, HNC: Additional Support Needs: Supporting the Individual all at SCQF Level 7, or HND: Additional Support Needs: Managing and Supporting the Services at SCQF Level 8.